Men's Tweed Gilets & Waistcoats
Few sights are more charming than a man in a rugged tweed hunting waistcoat, twill trousers, leather loafers and a quintessential tweed cap to go. What lady cannot resist such a stylish chap in this irresistible attire? We have an answer for you: very few! Gilets and waistcoats - especially in tweed - are an essential part of British culture and are perfecting for stylishly enhancing country sports, such as shooting, hunting, or equestrian pursuits. An ideal men’s tweed gilet is both beautiful and supremely practical, having been designed to give you the greatest range of motion. Such a well-designed tweed waistcoat for men can easily be dressed up and down, for warm weather or cold winters. These kits are also very versatile - the same men's tweed waistcoat can be paired with a grey pair of snazzy shooting trousers for men for a day out in the field and worn with a sharp waxed cotton blazer for a dinner party that evening!
Although you can shop for such attire in stores, the process can be very cumbersome - high-quality traditional tweed coats for men are abundantly available online at sale prices. Our selection - which includes premium items like Walker and Hawkes gilets and men’s country blazers by Hunter Outdoor - is inexpensive but never cheap, and we handpick every garment to ensure you have a variety of tweeds, sizes, styles to choose from! An online buy gives you the added convenience of delivery right to your door, and with retailers like us, you’ll even get free shipping to mainland UK!
Choosing a Tweed Waistcoat for ShootingYou might be used to putting form above fashion when searching for a suitable shooting waistcoat, but you no longer need to make any concessions to style! An ideal waistcoat for shooting - is form fitting yet flexible enough for you to comfortably manoeuvre the fields, utilising your full range of motion - but is still stylish enough that you’ll want to wear it to your dinner party too.
Pockets are vital when you’re spending your days out in the country, and it’s often cold in the fields, so choose a waistcoat with handy inner pockets, extra padding to keep you warm, useful, and either hand warmers or game pockets. You’ll want to blend in with the scenery in order to avoid detection, so look for waistcoats that blend in with the colours of the earth - shades of browns and greens are often your best bet.
Choose something not too fitted - you don’t want to feel stiff - but that does conform to your body and also allows for a little breathing room. We carry plus sizes as well, so we can truly outfit men of all shapes and sizes for their long days spent shooting!
How to Pick the Best Tweed Waistcoat or a Gilet?Now that you know you need this new addition to your wardrobe, how do you pick just one? There are a few things to keep in mind: first, consider the occasion. Are you primarily going to be wearing this coat for a shooting competition or on days spent tottering about the garden? What about formal events, like parties or weddings?
While a day out harvesting calls for a multi-pocketed, flexible, earthy coat that will keep you comfortable and dry, if you’re intending to stay indoors, you can play with just about any hue, go easy on the pockets, or experiment with more lightweight material that has less lining!
Next, consider your style and colour preferences. Tweed comes in varieties of olive, brown, grey, green, black, tan and blue, so you have lots of options to choose from! A heavier interest in fashion can lead you to exploring avant-garde waistcoats in brighter shades, while casual fellas can opt for minimalistic gilets and country gents can stick with the fleece-lined varieties.
StylingTweed gilets and waistcoats can actually work for any style, even casual looks that are aimed towards indoor wear. Of course, they can function as bodywarmers ideal for any sports event or outdoor activity, such as shooting, hunting, or working in the field. But consider these garment to be the epitome of flexible wear - if you’re going to be both inside and outside, a gilet can be added or subtracted accordingly. This makes them the ideal companion for all kinds of occasions, styles, and seasons.
Have a country estate party to attend? Throw on a formal derby tweed gilet. Going on Friday night date with your leading lady? A fitted herringbone waistcoat will make you irresistible. The right Harris tweed waistcoat will even turn your average joe into the most dapper fellow in the office - consider this garment like a ribbon tying your whole look together.
And not only is the garment itself perfect - as you already know, tweed as a fabric is likewise suitable for all climates, events, and styles! Throw the two together, and you’ve got a staple you’ll be shimmying into on the regular!
- About This Style - The laidback farmer look is so much more than a look; it’s a lifestyle lived by the most rugged and country-loving men around. This type goes for hardy, purpose-driven looks that complement their masculinity, but they’re never out of touch with their sense of polish.
- Outfit - Throw on an easy pair of jeans and steel toe cap boots, but jazz it up a bit for the missus by wearing a checked shirt with your tweed waistcoat. A country hat can top things off, but your mannerisms are your most important asset!
- Activity - Bringing in the harvest before an evening at the pub.
- About This Style - Inspired by London Fashion Week catwalks and Pinterest feeds around the world, the fashion-informed dude is a trailblazer who lays the foundations for upcoming trends. He has mastered the art of blending colours, avant-garde cuts, and bold patterns in the most tasteful manner!
- Outfit - Twill trousers, loafers, orange shirt, bolero tie and a Harris tweed gilet! Finish off the look with a cap in a contrasting colour and a pebble grain leather man bag...and don’t forget to take loads of selfies for Instagram.
- Activity - Attending a university classmate’s debut fashion show.
- About This Style - Think fashion-forward, but with a side of vintage. This young creative loves a retro look but twists it up with modern, bold looks that leave you marvelling at his taste. He makes ties, suspenders, and cords look refreshingly in season, but you might catch him with his nose in a classic or jamming to 50s tunes!
- Outfit - Blue cords, short-sleeve collared shirt, striped suspenders, lace-up ankle boots and fitted, pocketed herringbone waistcoat. Bring along those tortoiseshell glasses to complete your look and pretend they’re for reading - we won’t tell!
- Activity - A weekly book club meet-up.
- About This Style - Dapper to the max, but with a twist of country charm! This chap has a special air about him that indicates dignity and prestige, but his respectful nature is his classiest feature. Although he embodies luxury, he does so in the most tasteful and refined manner possible. He leaves everyone wondering what his secret is!
- Outfit - Twill trousers, polished leather loafers, freshly ironed white button-down, and lined Derby tweed jacket. Complement the tweed with leather accessories (a watch and belt are essential!), fine cottons, and other high-class fabrics that add to your mysterious aura.
- Activity - Hosting a dinner party.
- About This Style - Easy going by nature but always refined, the casual chap loves to spice up his laid-back look with layers and comfy flair. He looks handsome, but effortlessly so, and his admirers are left wondering if he tried hard or not at all.
- Outfit - Fitted chicos, cotton cardigan, and tweed gilet. Pair the tweed with comfortable, inviting textures to exude the relaxed look, and slip into a pair of crisp sneakers! Don’t forget to bring a tweed coat for your date when she gets cold - she’ll quickly follow in your tweed-loving footsteps!
- Activity - Date night with your main squeeze.
Tweed has been around for hundreds of years, having first originated in the countrysides of 18th century Scotland from dyed wool. It has remained in fashion to this day, especially in Great Britain - not only because of how fashionable and flexible it is but because this is one sturdy fabric that lasts for a lifetime if well taken care of.
Aside from being one of the most durable fabrics to use, tweed’s water repellent properties make it an excellent choice if you reside in good ole rainy England! In the summer, tweed waistcoats can act as light outerwear over a short sleeve polo, while in the coldest of winters many choose to wear their gilets over their overcoats during the harshest snow and ice storms.
Now that you understand the many advantages of tweed, you may be wondering if there are any disadvantages. Having been used as traditional winter garb (made of wool, no less!), tweed, as it was originally made, is generously warm, and could thus be misunderstood as a poor choice for summer attire.
However, lightweight tweed, or tweed woven with cotton, makes the material much airier and - as the name implies - cooler to wear during the summertime. Many designers have even given lightweight tweed a glamorous edge. Some people unfamiliar with the material misunderstand tweed as stiff and itchy - but if well made, it’s actually one of the softest and most flexible fabrics around!
Where to Buy a Tweed Waistcoat in the UK?
The easiest way to purchase men’s tweed jackets and blazers, like most things, is by buying them online. Not sure which brand to choose? We recommend buying from Equestrian Co. - our quintessentially British products ensure that you do not need to make a tradeoff between high quality and great prices. You can shop our website with confidence, knowing that you need not wait for sale prices elsewhere when you always save big with us.
We carry colours from olive to charcoal and sizes from extra small to plus size, so you know you’re accessing an assorted collection when you shop for a tweed jacket and blazers with us! Because we are invested in our customers, we test and review all our products for style, durability, and functionality. In the unlikely event that your new tweed garment is not to your liking, quick and easy returns are available to you. And of course, our free and timely delivery to mainland UK allows for your new addition to grace your wardrobe in no time!