Men's waxed waistcoats are perfect for country walks. Head out on a brisk walk in the fresh air, marvel at the countryside and all the wonders of Mother Nature, return home, wax gilet on the coat hook, feet up... your work today is done. A men’s waxed gilet is a wonderful gift for the hard to shop for, find out his size and you can simply buy online and look forward to many a country walk with the recipient. Maybe one of our Walker and Hawkes gilets would be the right choice? Our range of stylish waxed cotton hats for men are perfect for the finishing touch.
Why Waxed Cotton?Outdoor activities + UK weather = waterproof clothing. There are terrific tweed waistcoats on our site but for the waterproof variety - you need a waxed cotton gilet. The wax makes all the difference, effectively repelling the wettest of UK weather.
Waxed cotton was first used for improving the performance of sails on sailing ships in the 1800’s. It’s gone through countless refinements since those early days, leading to a fabric that is wind resistant, water resistant and highly durable.
Most people don’t realise that the wax finish protection is changeable according to the weather.
The wax finish is breathable and soft on warmer days but put it to the test on a bitterly cold day, and the wax stiffens to a harder finish to give more protection against the elements.
The cotton used is a very densely woven cloth, reliable, able to withstand the hardest of wear; in fact, the more you use it, the more life you throw at it, the better your garment will look.
Major refinements in the manufacture of waxed cotton in recent years have led to improved fabrics, higher water and wind resistance, resulting in a quality fabric that is breathable, comfortable and exceptionally good looking.
- Wind resistant - Pop your collar, and you’ll be able to weather the worst of storms.
- Water resistant - Easily copes with a downpour, but watch your unprotected sleeves.
- Long lasting - Who hasn’t seen the old man with one of these he’s owned since he was a lad?
- Easy to maintain - It’s very relaxing to reproof your waxed garment and very easy to do.
- Country Gent uniform - No well-dressed chap is without a waxed garment in his boot room.
- Doesn’t smell - In the olden days the manufacturing process could make these coats a bit smelly, that has all changed. Now, while not quite having the new car smell, they certainly have the new waxed garment smell, better than opening a new tin of tennis balls.
- Not silent - You might not want to combine this with corduroy trousers if you’re trying to creep into the house late at night.
- Doesn’t do well in extremes of temperature - Don’t store yours in a walk-in freezer or on the back windowsill of the car during the summer.
- New or newly waxed can leave marks - We don’t recommend wearing new or newly waxed garments on light coloured leather seats in the car, or soft furnishings anywhere. Give your garment a couple of weeks to settle in, once that newness has gone and it feels softer and dryer it can continue to accompany you anywhere you go, a bit like a good dog.
How Waterproof Is It?A waxed cotton gilet is exceptionally water resistant, unlike a waxed jacket it doesn’t protect your arms, but it does offer you a nice alternative with a lot more versatility and flexibility.
Light RainSpring showers are frequently fleeting, but sometimes they are fierce. Here, a waxed gilet or body warmer is in its element. Fending off the shower, coping with a cold day still looking fine and dandy.
Moderate RainYour waxed vest is up to the job. What are you wearing underneath your vest? That will be the important factor.
Torrential RainOk guys, put on your raincoat, now put on your gilet, we’ve got a stormy situation here. Your gilet will cope admirably with whatever Mother Nature decides to throw at it, and still come out the other side of the rainbow looking fine.
Total SubmersionWe commissioned the Denby Dale Men's Synchronised Swimming Team, affectionately known as the Pie Eating Mermen, to test our waxed gilets during one of their underwater routines. The gilets didn’t perform quite as well as their usual scuba suits, but the unanimous verdict was that they were much better looking and could fit more pies in the pockets.
How It’s MadeA short science lesson, so pay close attention.
- Cotton fibres are hollow.
- Cotton fibres are made of particles that are negatively charged.
- Water molecules fill hollow fibres.
- Water molecules are positively charged.
- Water molecules stay in hollow fibres.
Now let’s look at a waxed garment
- Cotton fibres are hollow.
- Cotton fibres are filled and coated with wax.
- Water molecules can’t penetrate the wax.
- Water resistant clothing.
Look for yourself the next time you are caught in the rain. You see those droplets forming on the surface of your garment? If it wasn’t for the wax, they would be absorbed into the fabric.
How to Clean It?Cleaning your wax bodywarmer is a simple job. Your mother probably told you to look at the care labels in your clothing for instructions, that’s a good place to start.
Here is a general guide:
- Do not use soap of any kind.
- Do not machine wash or tumble dry.
- Do not dry clean.
- Do not iron.
- Do not use high temperatures to dry.
- Do spot clean with cold water and a sponge.
- Do allow your waxed garment to dry and air after being caught in heavy rain.
- Do remove mud, grit and sand with a soft brush or cloth. Pay particular attention to seams.
- Do reproof your item after a thorough cleaning.
- Do reproof when wax coating looks in need of a refresh.
How To ReproofYou can have your waxed clothing professionally re-waxed, or you can do the job yourself.
A little preparation goes a long way with this job, which can be messy and smelly, but strangely therapeutic.
This is a job for your inner Karate Kid.
- Clean item to be re-waxed with cold water and a sponge.
- Allow to air dry.
- Now, in a well-ventilated room melt the wax in its original container. A warm water bath is good for this job.
- Gather two soft, lint-free cloths, one for wax on, one for wax off.
- Repeat after me - wax on - wax off.
- Lay your garment on a flat surface
- Gently rub softened wax into the garment. Using a hair dryer to soften the material helps with even distribution.
- Work the wax into the fabric in a circular motion being careful not to apply too much at once.
- Pay particular attention to seams and worn areas.
- With the second cloth, remove any excess wax.
- Leave to air dry overnight.
- Next day, remove excess wax.
- Work more wax into areas that look dry.
- Go over entire coat with a hairdryer and cloth until you achieve an all over waxy patina.
- Leave overnight to dry.
When To Wear ItWaxed waistcoats are so incredibly handy that you may just find it hard to take your gilet off. But have no fear, my dear chum, for there are countless occasions when your men’s waxed waistcoat will be the perfect piece of attire for the occasion!
The EquestrianAh, the wind through your hair, countryside rushing by, the sound of hooves on grass, who doesn’t love a good hack through the countryside?
Due to the vagaries of British weather, a gent’s waxed gilet is a good choice when riding or even just carrying out general yard chores. The style of a waxed cotton gilet is such that it keeps your body warm and dry and gives you the full range of motion in your arms. Even when bending over, the gilet will keep your back covered.
Practical styling, a wipe-down finish, and classic good looks make this a great choice for the busy equestrian.
Country GentA well-dressed country gent has many a garment in his wardrobe, but the waxed body warmer, on a misty morning, when there might be rain, is perfect for an informal shoot.
Leaving your arms unencumbered by sleeves, allowing you the full range of motion, there is surely no excuse for a miss. Well, of course, there is, but it won’t be through lack of trying and preparation.
With deep pockets for spare cartridges and hand warmer pockets for, well, for your hands, this is a highly practical but stylish choice.
Walking the Dog
Walking the dog is part of your daily routine; you know you’ll get a bit dirty, but you don’t want to look messy.
A waxed gilet, with its tough exterior, ample pockets for treats and wind and rain resistance is a great piece of equipment in the outdoors.
Dog hair doesn’t stick to it, mud brushes off once dry, and it doesn’t look bad when it’s got fresh paw prints on it.
A nice leather leash slung around your neck is the perfect finishing touch, just not when attached to your excitable pup!
Country life is all well and good, but the city is where many of us spend a large part of our time.
A well-waxed gilet is perfectly at home on the city streets.
Take a little bit of your country practicality to work with you. Not only will you look dashing, landed and practical, you will also be dry and warm. The kind of man ready for any situation. A man not afraid of where he comes from or where he’d rather be. A man comfortable in his clothes.
How to Style It
Laidback Country style
- About This Style - The laid-back country look is much more than a look; it goes hand in muddy hand with your whole lifestyle - lived by only the most rugged and active men.
- Outfit - Throw on an easy pair of jeans, and steel toe cap boots, but jazz it up a bit for the Mrs by wearing a Tattersall check shirt with your waxed waistcoat.
- Activity - Anything from bringing in the horses to an evening at the pub
- About This Style - For the fashion-savvy man the waxed waistcoat is a truly versatile piece. Show off your unique, self-confident style in the city or on the field.
- Outfit - Wear your wax gilet over a shirt and cashmere cardigan, or over a tweed jacket during a downpour, come on, life doesn’t stop when it rains.
- Activity - Anything from a walk through the city streets, culminating with dinner with friends to a clay shoot in the country.
- About This Style - Hipsters, wherever they happen to be, know a thing or two about clothing and how clothes maketh the man. They aren’t afraid to mix things up.
- Outfit - Checked, flannel shirt, tight jeans, shiny leather brogues.
- Activity - These guys have made an art form of living life to the max. They can look cool changing the tyre on their vintage camper van or skateboarding in the park.
When you are looking for an extra layer of clothing to offer you warmth and protection from the weather, waxed cotton is a traditional choice. Waxed fabric, as long as you look after it, will look after you for many years to come.