Men's Tweed Jackets & Blazers
Meet your next wardrobe staple: men’s tweed jackets and blazers are all the rage in the UK. Originating from the countrysides of Scotland, all forms of tweed clothing from tweed waistcoats for men, to flat caps for men now permeate British society, but jackets and blazers specifically hold a special place in any self-respecting gent’s wardrobe. Why? When made with tweed, these extremely versatile articles work with any styles to ensure a sharp, respectable, and swoon-worthy appearance. That’s right, both casual country gents and sleek city slickers can feel at home in this most adaptable material. Because this durable and waterproof fabric can be dressed up and dressed down (and is highly compatible with a variety of other materials!) country boys can use their jackets in the fields and on date nights, while city fellows can wear their blazers for a night on the town.
And because of their popularity, your average men’s tweed blazer or jacket is adorned with varying extras and patterns: elbow patches, multiple pockets, and full collars are common features, while herringbone patterns and Harris tweed comprise the most popular kinds of weaves. Often the best tweed coats for men can be found online, making for a very convenient buy. Jackets from Walker and Hawkes, Hunter Outdoor, and other companies can be found for sale on Equestrian Co’s website, where tweed blazers for men are also widely available by the same manufacturers.
How to Choose The Best Men's Tweed Blazer or a Jacket?Now that you understand the prominence of a tweed jacket or blazer in your closet, how do you go about choosing one? While a single tweed article can be extremely versatile and work with a multitude of looks, considering both your style and what kind of occasions you frequent will give you an indication of what kind and colour of outerwear will suit you best.
Overall, we recommend looking for styles that give you a masculine appearance, enhance your silhouette, broaden your shoulders and slim your midsection. However, you’ll also want to consider personal conveniences, like how many pockets you want, if you prefer elbow patches, and what season you’re intending to wear your new garment. For winter jackets, you’ll want 100% wool, while summer blazers will incorporate a higher percentage of cotton into the weave.
It’s hard to go wrong with a great tweed jacket, but we’ll run through some specific considerations like colour, style, fit, and fabric composition so that you pin down the perfect one.
Tweeds are traditionally earthy and muted in colour, so the most popular shades tend to lead towards browns, greens, greys, and beiges, but there are always exceptions in the most gorgeous tones!
The right colour choice depends on the season: during spring, you want to utilise those easter pastel colours for a light, bright, and breezy look.
Summertime is a time for light shades such as cream, grey, and light brown, or, on occasion - a vibrant shade such as red or purple!
When the Autumn chill sets in, draw inspiration from the falling leaves and opt for a classic mustard, warm burgundy, or deep brown.
And for the final season, the one that seems to linger the longest - Winter! A great British winter doesn’t have to be a time of sadness, you simply need to make sure you have the right gear for the season, and what better way to keep warm than with a woolen cotton blend tweed in a deep maroon, navy blue, rich forest green, or a charcoal grey.
Make sure to pick a colour that goes with most articles in your current wardrobe - this way, you can be sure to wear your new jacket or blazer as it is meant to be worn: with everything!
How Is Tweed Made?Tweed is a woollen fabric, tightly woven from the dyed wool of various types of sheep. Its origins lie in 18th century Scotland, where workers needed durable but inexpensive material to tough out the bone-chilling winters.
This most sensible of fabrics caught on in British aristocratic circles and became the quintessential fabric for sporting pursuits, and since the 1850s it has remained a go-to material for both fashion and sports. A variety of different weaves can be used to comprise its pattern structure.
Although is no longer necessarily hand-woven, today’s tweed maintains its excellent insulating properties: it is naturally water and wind resistant.
This makes it an ideal material to use for coverage from head to toe. Caps, socks, and everything in between - ties, trousers, women’s suits, gloves, and the biggest staple of all, coats - all make popular and functional use of this highly adaptable fabric.
SizesHow do you know if a blazer fits you well? Our most popular sizes are 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, each of these corresponding with an alpha size ranging from Small (38) to XXX-Large (50). If you’re uncertain where you fall on that scale, we have a detailed sizing chart available with each of our jackets and blazers for you to match your measurements with.
When choosing your new addition, keep in mind what kind of fit you want - if you want more of an oversized look, try going one or two sizes up, but stay true to your size if you’re aiming for a tailored look.
While people generally have one size that fits to form, most are comfortable within two or three different sizes. This allows them to play with different looks. Being familiar with your style is therefore essential in choosing a size, as it determines whether you go for skin-tight fits or gravitate towards oversized items!
Figuring Out Your StyleYour specific tastes and preferences can indicate where you’re from, but they also give away so much more than that! Most importantly, they give others a glimpse into your personality. It is important to figure out your style - that way, when you try out new looks, you have the compass of your fashion sense to guide you in staying true to yourself while testing uncharted waters.
Fortunately, tweed is one of the most versatile materials and, because it complements so many varying styles, allows you to feel completely free in experimenting with your fashion choices. Your new jacket will encourage you to test out new looks within your style of choice, and will even permit you to dip your toes into new trends without having to go “all in”. If you’re not quite sure what type of style you have - let’s run through a few of the most snazzy looks!
- What Is This Look - Straight from the runway! Taking inspiration from catwalks and designer Instagrams across the globe, the fashion-forward fellow demands all on eyes him just by his mere presence. Able to embrace all colours, experiment with various fits and cuts, and blend contrasting patterns, textures, styles, in the most tasteful manner, the fashionista reigns supreme!
- How To Know If It’s You - You look to fashion magazines and urban trends to keep an informed wardrobe, and perhaps you’re even a trendsetter yourself! Never one to shy away from the avant-garde, you’re the first of your friends to experiment with bold new looks and colours of the season.
- What Is This Look - Dapper to the max, but with a twist of farm charm! This chap is clearly not from the city but has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi refinement that might indicate country vibes. Although he knows what an “estate tweed” is, these days he prefers to show off his high-end outdoorsy style with a variety of tweeds and other manly fabrics.
- How To Know If It’s You - You love the refined look, but prefer classic twists of country charm that give every city fashionista a run for his money. You love pairing your tweed with rugged fabrics, like leather and cotton twill, but still, manage to pull off a luxurious look that embodies taste.
- What Is This Look - Think grandpa meets fashionista: this dude loves a vintage aesthetic, but jazzes it up with classic, striking styling that will have you in rapture of his tasteful creativity. This guy will always make corduroy, braces, and ties look on trend and in season.
- How To Know If It’s You - You exude that “intelligently cute” charm and can disarm even the cleverest ladies with your witty vibe and that Hemingway collection tucked under your arm. You have an eye for vintage looks and can make a 1950s wardrobe look right at home in the 21st century.
- What Is This Look - Always on the go, you might catch glimpses of this carefully put-together gent on his way to his office, in a coffee shop, or on his cell with clients in between all his appointments. Sleek and immaculate, this man exudes confidence, efficiency, and grace.
- How To Know If It’s You - At home in the midst of the city, your go-to look is equally beautiful and sleek: think trench coats, loafers, and crisp, well-ironed shirts. Your extras often include a sleek watch, a briefcase, and coiffured hair, and although fast-paced, mannerisms and sophistication are your forte.
- What Is This Look - A bit more casual than the country gent, the farm fresh chap brings in just what his style implies - a breath of fresh air. Always laid back and never hurried, this dude emanates farm charm with his functional clothing - rugged textures, earthy colours, and varied layers.
- How To Know If It’s You - Easygoing by nature but never naive, you’re fluent with layering and look for durability behind every sound fashion choice. You gravitate towards country flair and, although you look effortlessly handsome, aren’t too fussy about having detail in place.
How to Wear It?
Depending on your style and the occasion you need an outfit that will work for you. If you are a regular attendee to fancy parties and clink glasses with society’s finest, you’ll want a well-tailored blazer (or three), whereas a fashion student in downtown London can get away with an oversized tweed jacket in a bright, unconventional hue.
Country fellows will embrace layering their heavier tweeds with other purpose-driven fabrics in the wintertime, whereas casual chaps can pair their cottony tweeds with a crisp t-shirt and pair of kicks for a cool, relaxed summer by the sea. Because tweed is so adaptable, you’ll be wearing it with everything before long!
Whatever your style, it’s important to know what climates and occasions you intend to visit with your new jacket or blazer in tow, so we’ve gathered a few tips and suggestions to make the choosing process a little more straightforward for you!
- Occasion - Summer boat trip with your close friends
- The Outfit - Black jeans, black leather loafers, white shirt, bolero tie and oversize tweed blazer! To cap off the look, try adding a cap in a contrasting colour and throw on a knitted sweater underneath your blazer if the wind kicks up.
- Occasion - Estate party at the local winery
- The Outfit - Waistcoat, twill trousers, polished leather shoes, flat cap and tweed jacket. Complement the tweed with fashionable but purpose-driven fabrics such as wool, denim, and leather in earthy and muted colours. But don’t be afraid to try out more functional, modern fabrics to ensure you show off that in country gent charm.
- Occasion - Your best bud’s EP launch
- The Outfit - Dark wash blue jeans, short-sleeve levis tee, doc martens boots and a loose fit herringbone tweed blazer. Don’t forget to strategically poise your latest read in your man bag, and whatever you do, don’t forget to throw on your Harry Potter-esque spectacles to finish your look. You’ll have the artsy ladies swooning!
- Occasion - Dinner with your girl’s parents
- The Outfit - Chinos, brown leather loafers, white cuffed shirt, semi-fitted tweed blazer. Complement the tweed with crisp colours and sleek textures to embody the polished look, and add a watch, a leather wallet, and a clean shave for maximum sophistication. Grab the bill for extra points!
- Occasion - Weekend foray into the city
- The Outfit - Fitted cord trousers, checked shirt, and a well-worn waxed jacket. Combine your waxed cotton jacket with textured and cosy fabrics.. To really spice things up, add a bowtie and display your country mannerisms by offering your date the warmth of your tweed jacket when the evening comes around!
Where To Buy It
The easiest way to purchase men’s tweed jackets and blazers, like most things, is by buying them online. Not sure which brand to choose? We recommend buying from Equestrian Co. - our products ensure that you do not need to make a tradeoff between high quality and great prices. You can, therefore, shop our website with confidence, knowing that you need not wait for a sale when you have sale prices available to you always.
Our commitment to exceptional service means we thoroughly test and review all our products for style, durability, and functionality, but in the rare event that your new jacket is not to your complete satisfaction, you can rest assured that quick and easy returns are available to you - with no questions asked. We have fast and free delivery to mainland UK, allowing for your new addition to grace your wardrobe in no time!
You know that a good, well fitting tweed jacket is going to make the rest of your wardrobe look better; it’s going to make you happier when you wear it. It’s true; you’ll feel like you can do anything when you're in it, it’s like modern day armour for men. Welcome to our great selection of blazers for men. You might think that there are too many options to choose from. You might also wonder why you can’t just download a pizza straight from the computer? Well, we can’t help with the pizza (sorry guys) but help with the former is what we’re here for. We stock plenty of options to give you a really good choice; there is no one style fits all here. Whatever your taste, shape, budget and colour choice, we’re ready to outfit you. Country blazers are one of the most versatile pieces you can have in your wardrobe. We’ve chosen styles that give a masculine appearance, enhancing your silhouette, broadening your shoulders and slimming your midsection. They have a very versatile number of pockets, gone are the days when your trousers needed to be weighed down with everything you carried, your pocket bumping you with every step, now you can share that load around. (And can we recommend you have a quick look at our bags?).Perhaps most importantly, our tweed blazers or sport coats offer you the chance to be a gentleman. Out with a lady friend and she looks cold? Remove your jacket, lend her its warmth, she will look at you in an entirely new light, you absolute hero! Paired with a pair of chinos, twill trousers or denim jeans, this is a flexible jacket. Looking good at a country show, out shooting, in town, even on a night out, versatility is its middle name. No need to worry about wearing a ‘business mullet’ here, formal on top and casual on the bottom, tweed is one of those fabrics that can fit into any situation. Country vets will love the tweed jackets, city traders will love the tweed blazers, and these jackets will love you right back, however, and wherever you wear them.